Bhainsrorgarh is a fortified outpost of the kingdom of Mewar (Chittorgarh/ Udaipur), 235 kilometers northeast of Udaipur and 50 kilometers south of Kota. It crowns a 200 ft rocky ridge
overlooking the river Chambal. This fort was built by Rawat Lal Singh (2nd son of Rawat Kesri Singh of Salumber) who was granted this Jagir (fiefdom) by Maharana Jagat Singh – II of Mewar (Udaipur) in
1741 A.D. The Chief (Noble) of Bhainsrorgarh was amongst the 16 first class nobles of Mewar. The ruler of Bhainsrorgarh was conferred with the title of Rawat by the Maharana of Mewar. The Maharanas of
Mewar once ruled the entire Rajputana, comprising of what is now Rajasthan, Gujarat and the Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh. This was till Rana Sangha was the ruler. The Maharana of Mewar was considered
the head of the Hindu race and hence was called ‘Hinduva Suraj’.
The Jagir (fiefdom) of Bhainsrorgarh holds great importance to the Chundawat clan of Sisodia Rajputs, as it was this Jagir that Rao Chunda was granted after his renunciation of the throne of Mewar in
favor of his to be born younger brother in the fourteenth century A.D. Chunda was the heir apparent to the throne of Chittor as he was the elder son of Rana Lakha, the then ruler of Mewar.
Later on, the Jagir of Bhainsrorgarh was awarded to the Tomars/Tanvars, Parmars, the Rathores and the Shaktawats (Granted by Maharana Pratap to his younger brother Shakti Singh) rulers subsequently,
after whom it was again granted to the rightful original owners, the Chundawats in 1742, as mentioned above.
The famous British historian Col. James Tod after seeing the splendid and mesmerizing beauty of Bhainsrorgarh said that if he was offered a Jagir (fiefdom) and given an option to choose it anywhere in
Rajasthan, he would have chosen Bhainsrorgarh.
Present Status: The palace has been restored to its old world charm and the Bhainsrorgarh Fort Hotel will be an experience of a lifetime. Five large Suites overlooking the river are open to tourists.
Paramount importance has been given to maintain the novelty of the architecture and decor by recreating the same aura in which Royalties of Bhainsrorgarh lived.